Tags: Global Volcanism Program
The latest Smithsonian Institution and United States Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report has been published by the Global Volcanism Program, covering the week 7-13 March 2012. The report is compiled by Sally Kuhn Sennert. Some of the news from a week that has seen quite a lot of new activity:
- An explosive eruption at Bezymianny sent ash up to 8 km altitude
- Activity at Nevado del Ruiz marked by explosions, ash emissions and increased seismicity
- Cleveland stirs with small explosive eruptions
- Explosions at Santa María produce localized ashfall
Click on the map for a larger version (1211 x 784 pixels).
The Smithsonian Institution/United States Geological Survey Weekly Volcanic Activity Report for 7-13 March 2012 is now available on the Global Volcanism Program website. The following is a summary and not a substitute for the full report.
- The current report: Weekly Volcanic Activity Report.
- Previous reports: Weekly Reports Archive.
- The SI/USGS map of volcanoes discussed this week.
New activity/unrest: Bezymianny (Russia), Cleveland (Alaska, USA), Ijen (Indonesia), Iliamna (Alaska, USA), Lamongan (Indonesia), Marapi (Indonesia), Nevado del Ruiz (Colombia), Tungurahua (Ecuador).
Ongoing activity: Karymsky (Russia), Kilauea (Hawaii, USA), Kizimen (Russia), Puyehue-Cordón Caulle (Chile), Sakura-jima (Japan), Santa María (Guatemala), Shiveluch (Russia), Villarrica (Chile).
Note: ‘a.s.l.’ = ‘above sea level’.